Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of

The video taught me that the internet has changed. The internet's biggest websites are providing a more personalized and tailored version to better suit their users. We no longer have control over what we find when we search for something. The results aren't dependent on what I type in the search engine, they depend what the search engine thinks I like. I almost feel betrayed by the website if it withholds information from me because they think I wouldn't want to know it. The computer doesn't know me.

I was less general in my search about Shakespeare this time. Instead of searching " who was William Shakespeare" I searched "Important aspects of William Shakespeare's life". Changing what words I used obviously changed the outcome, but before seeing the video I never would have expected the different search engines providing completely different results.

No comments:

Post a Comment