Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

To Facebook or Not to Facebook?

I initially started using Facebook because everyone was doing it. Although I am not usually such a stereo-typical teenage follower, in this situation I felt there were no risks. So, my attitude towards joining was simply, "Why not?" I obviously realized I must be careful about what information I release on my Facebook and who I allow to see it. I wasn't aware that I was being used as a money-making device for this website, that so many of my peers were also members of. We were unknowingly having our privacy invaded, thus providing bargaining tools for Facebook to its advertisement clients. The article exposing this information gave me a whole different perspective on Facebook. I don't hate the website now, I just have to realize anything I say or do can be viewed by a Facebook employee and used in whatever way they please. Whether it's used to tailor a more personalized version of Facebook for me, or to create profits for this world leading social networking website.

No comments:

Post a Comment